Sonderborg – The future zero carbon city
The 76,000 citizens of the little-known Danish municipality Sonderborg act, while politicians talk and climate change is accelerating. They share the vision of ProjectZero and have committed themselves to make Sonderborg zero carbon by 2029.
Sonderborg is a picturesque municipality close to the water and the German border, and it wants to prove that climate neutrality is achievable when cities take decisive action and ensure citizens and companies participate in finding new solutions and retrofitting society’s energy consumption and generation.
The ProjectZero visionary project is focused on transitioning Sonderborg into a ZERO carbon community, based on sustainable growth and creating new green jobs. Energy efficiency and energy from the area’s own renewable sources are the key means to turn the vision into reality. New thinking is essential and public policy and investments fuel the transition.
In SmartEnCity, Sonderborg seeks to
- Demonstrate ambitious electrification of Sonderborg’s Roadmap2020, including integration of wind energy from coastal near turbines and rooftop PV power production
- Integrate local green power production in district heating networks and green mobility solutions
- Energy retrofitting existing house association buildings in close cooperation with tenants
- Engage the citizens as co-designers of the Smart Zero Carbon Sonderborg ambition based integrated solutions, comprehensive learning and the introduction of new ICT based energy information.
Smart Solutions for Sonderborg
- New biogas buses and biogas filling stations
As a zero-carbon mobility solution, a considerable number of new energy-efficient biogas-fueled buses will be deployed in Sonderborg, while each of the buses can carry bikes on board for a combined trip.
- Citizen engagement program
As part of Sonderborg’s official strategy to become a zero-carbon emission community by 2029, a citizen engagement program has been developed for involving local housing associations in retrofitting activities.
- Intelligent EV chargers
The new intelligent rechargers that will be installed in Sonderborg’s private homes, companies as well as public locations are remote controlled to ensure that EVs are charged when electricity prices are the lowest.
- Mobility campaigns
While the municipality invests in solid infrastructure, the people of Sonderborg are motivated to use greener modes of transport through dedicated mobility campaigns, including elements like biking, driving e-cars and using public transportation.
- Sonderborg retrofitting package
In Sonderborg, a total of 7 social housing departments will be fully retrofitted to reduce energy consumption, improve indoor climate and support Sonderborg in becoming a carbon-neutral city in 2029.