Public Papers generated within SmartEnCity Project
SmartEnCity project activities are divided into 9 work packages dealing with different topics:
- WP1: Project Management
- WP2: SmartEnCity Regeneration Strategy
- WP3: Vitoria-Gasteiz Lighthouse Deployment
- WP4: Tartu Lighthouse Deployment
- WP5: Sonderborg Lighthouse Deployment
- WP6: City Information Open Platform (CIOP)
- WP7: Monitoring and Evaluation
- WP8: Replication to Followers and Smart Cities Network
- WP9: Exploitation, Communication & Dissemination
Each work package has to summarise its activities and findings and deliver this information as papers to the European Commission. Some of these documents are confidential, some are available to the public.
Please find below a list of the public papers generated so far and benefit from the experience gained within SmartEnCity project. Click on the title to find a summary and the link to download the full document.
WP2: SmartEnCity Regeneration Strategy
- Review of regulatory gaps and recommendations to facilitate city transformation processes Highlights main barriers for city transformation and adoption of innovative technologies in the domains of urban retrofitting, energy supply, mobility, ICT and social engagement. Based on experiences from 3 Lighthouse and 2 Follower Cities, relevant industries and academia, the major barriers are identified and analyzed along with potential solutions for overcoming such barriers.
- New business models, procurement schemes and financing mechanisms for smart city projects How to overcome more effectively the challenges on business models, public procurement, and financing mechanisms in Smart City projects.
- Integrated Management models for large scale Smart City transformation projects
An integrated and collaborative methodology oriented to customer satisfaction.
- Citizen Engagement Strategy and deployment plan The aim of the qualitative research has been to create a descriptive tool, called CES Model, whose goal it is to map the citizen engagement reality of each Lighthouse City in a homogeneous way
- Integrated and systemic SmartEnCity urban regeneration strategy_v1 This paper provides the first approach to the Integrated Urban Regeneration (IUR) strategy of SmartEnCity project.The document includes an in-depth analysis of Integrated Urban Planning and Smart City policies evolution; a sectorial integrated analysis considering energy, retrofitting, urban mobility, ICTs, and governance; and a first proposal of SmartEnCity IUR Strategy flow and elements to be considered, which will be contrasted, validated and finalized in its second version (V2) in 2019 after intervention demo works in cities are finished.
WP3: Vitoria-Gasteiz Lighthouse Deployment
- Vitoria-Gasteiz Diagnosis and Baseline Vitoria-Gasteiz diagnosis and baseline framework definition for intervention, including a description of the diagnosis process; city characterisation through storytelling and an indicator factbox for each area of the city; city needs definition and prioritisation through SWOT and spatial analysis; a pre-definition of Coronación district interventions; and the description of the baseline definition framework, to be finally deployed in integrated planning report.
WP4: Tartu Lighthouse Deployment
- Tartu diagnosis and baseline report The overall objective of work package “Tartu Lighthouse Deployment” is to develop the detailed planning and coordination, to set up the management structures and procedures, and to implement construction works in the Tartu demo site according to the initial process layout.
WP5: Sonderborg Lighthouse Deployment
- Sonderborg Diagnosis and Baseline Introduces the Diagnosis and Baseline for Sonderborg with focus on in depth analysis for developing an operational strategy to implement key parts for reaching the Zero-goal, being the main demonstration elements of the SmartEnCity-project. The Sonderborg Diagnosis and Baseline is based on SmartEnCity guideline for Diagnosis and Baseline.
- 38 biogas buses in operation Switching from conventional diesel to biomethane buses in Sonderborg reduced carbon emissions, although also sulfur emissions, NOx and PM pollutants were significantly reduced. The emissions reduction from public transit is part of the ambitious goal of Sonderborg becoming carbon neutral by 2029.
- Sonderborg Building Retrofitting Complete A description of the completed energy retrofitting measures in the involved housing buildings and of the decision-making process for the energy retrofitting measures, a description of the design phase, the tendering phase and a description of the implementation phase.
WP6: City Information Open Platform (CIOP)
- Designing guide and tool catalogue The main objective of this deliverable is to share a new specific designing guide that guarantees the participation of the citizens during the whole process and a tool catalogue highlighting the more appropriate ones for the project. The created content enables to define the basis for future tasks developments of SmartEnCity.
- Data Model Architecture Implementation This public paper presents the results of the Task “Data Model Architecture Implementation” within Workpackage 6 of the SmartEnCity project. The main objective for this task is to design and implement the data models that will accommodate data coming from the different data sources and demonstrators.
- Interoperability Mechanisms This public paper presents the results of the task “Interoperability mechanisms Implementation” within Workpackage of the SmartEnCity project. The main objective for this task is to design and deploy the core/global architecture for the ICT platform, having interoperability and modularity as the key points.
WP7: Monitoring and Evaluation
- KPIs definition for pre-intervention data collection This report gives a description of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) as a tool for planning strategic interventions to transform cities into Smart Zero CO2 cities, the procedure for the selection of these indicators along the project and the approach for assessing the performance of the interventions and the integrated impact in the Lighthouse Cities.
- KPIs definition Report of the methodology for the holistic evaluation of the effects (energy efficiency reached, energy and CO2 saving, life quality, citizen engagement, etc.) of the interventions in the three demo cities during the demonstration phase of SmartEnCity project in the areas of energy, urban mobility, ICT platform and integrated infrastructures.
- Evaluation protocols This report defines a holistic methodology to assess the performance achieved in the SmartEnCity Lighthouse cities after the execution of the different actions structured on 7 protocols based in the KPIs proposed in the previous paper "KPs definition" allowing measuring the objectives established in each city from technical, environmental, economic and social points of view.
- City impact evaluation procedure The aim of this paper is the definition of a procedure which integrates all the evaluation protocols in order to estimate the overall impact and performance of the actions at city level by means of high level indicators that allow explaining the impact of the integrated actions in the common areas of the energy, transport and ICT sectors.
- District retrofitting monitoring program Targeted to the three Lighthouse Cities, this document contains the general description of the monitoring to be installed relative to the district retrofitting actions. The KPIs and indicators coming from papers "Evaluation protocols" and "City impact evaluation procedure" are further deployed to match the monitoring elements that will provide the information for the project interventions evaluation stage.
- Integrated infrastructures action monitoring program
Targeted to the three Lighthouse Cities, this document contains the general description of the monitoring to be installed relative to the district retrofitting actions. The KPIs and indicators coming from papers "Evaluation protocols" and "City impact evaluation procedure" are further deployed to match the monitoring elements that will provide the information for the project interventions evaluation stage.
- Data collection approach The paper defines the data collection approach as one step in a series of processes for developing a cohesive approach for information collection in the SmartEnCity framework and for assessing the possible impacts of the interventions in selected topics.
WP8: Replication to Followers and Smart Cities Network
- Smart Cities Network Activities Report_v1 This papers’s main objective is to show the activities and the progress of the SmartEnCity Network during its initial 12 months of the project.
- Replication Toolkit_v1 The first version of the SmartEnCity replication toolkit aims to extend the experience gained and lessons learned during the project to other cities, making it easier for them to implement similar smart city initiatives successfully in other contexts.
- Smart Cities Network Activities Report_v2 This paper focuses on the status, activities and outcomes of the SmartEnCity network during the first 24 months of the project.